Flinders Street, Townsville, QLD
Flinders Street is the main street in Townsville City and underwent a $56M redevelopment project to convert the street mall back into a roadway. The project included a new road, increased areas for streetscaping that included flat paved footpaths, shade structures, garden beds and an extensive upgrade to the stormwater drainage system.
Project Design Brief
Townsville City Council’s aim was to introduce traffic calming measures, create a town square and events area, while conserving heritage sites with environmental sensitivity. Due to the high volume of tropical rainfall and the increased pedestrian traffic, the designers required a drainage system that would harmonise with the newly designed streetscape while being slip resistant and heel friendly for pedestrians.
- KS100 trench drainage system with modular 0.5% sloped channels
- Stainless Wedgewire Heelsafe Anti-Slip grates
- Sloped channels with 0.5% built-in fall allows for efficient drainage on flat pavements
- Stainless steel edge rails provides an aesthetic restraining edge for pavers
- Heelsafe Anti-Slip grates ensures pedestrian safety