Wynyard Walk, Sydney, NSW
Wynyard Walk is a new underground pedestrian tunnel linking Wynyard Train Station with the western CBD and Barangaroo waterfront. The tunnel costing $306 million is 180m long and provides a safe and accessible route for pedestrians, wheelchairs and prams. The tunnel is designed to cater for an estimated 20,000 people in an hour and It takes approximately 6 minutes to walk from Wynyard Station to the Barangaroo precinct. There are approximately 23,000 office workers that travel to Barangaroo daily.
Project Design Brief
The engineers required a drainage system inside the tunnel to capture water from the sprinkler system in the event of a fire in the tunnel. Due to the large number of pedestrians using the tunnel daily, safety was a major concern. A level pavement with a discreet and foot friendly drainage grate was required.
- KlassikDrainK100 system with custom double Brickslot top
- ACO’s Technical Services Department provided designers with hydraulic performance data including slot intake capacities and the optimum distance to position drainage pits
- The 0.5% slope of the KlassikDrain K100 system allowed the pavements to be constructed flat and still provide sufficient runoff to the outlet within the channel
- Double 6mm Brickslot top addressed pedestrian safety issues relating to stiletto heels
- The Brickslot system could be positioned close to the tunnel walls ensuring a discreet drainage installation