The Pier, Kingston Foreshore, ACT
Kingston Foreshore is a mixed use development with residential apartments, office blocks, retail and food outlets on the southern shore of Lake Burley Griffin, Canberra.
The area aims to be a tourist destination that provides entertainment, art, cultural and recreational activities for visitors and locals. The designers wanted to preserve the area’s historical significance and provide a blend of landscapes and nature.
Project Design Brief
Designers chose cobblestone pavers to be in keeping with the rustic theme of the historic site. Pedestrian safety and grate security were important issues. Pavements were required to be as level as possible, slip resistance and heel safety was also a major concern.
- KlassikDrain K100 system with Iron Intercept HeelsafeAnti-Slip grates
- ACO’s Technical Services Department provided designers with hydraulic performance data including slot intake capacities and the optimum distance to position drainage pits
- Iron Intercept HeelsafeAnti-Slip grates met the designer’s slip resistance criteria and is heel friendly
- The grate design harmonised with the rustic pavements and landscape elements
- QuickLok grates are securely fitted to the drain channel and are also easy to remove for cleaning and maintenance