Flinders Street, Melbourne, Victoria
The City of Melbourne is responsible for maintaining pedestrian areas in Melbourne’s CBD. As Australia’s second largest capital city, its streetscapes are heavily accessed by pedestrians.
Project Design Brief
Recently the City of Melbourne needed to rehabilitate some footpaths outside the iconic Flinders Street Train Station. The upgrade required a surface drainage system to ensure stormwater run-off was captured efficiently. A major consideration for City of Melbourne was pedestrian safety due to the high level of pedestrian activity around the station.
- KlassikDrain KS200 channels, with Splitwire Stainless Heelsafe® Anti-Slip grates
- The 0.5% slope in the KS200 channel run provides runoff to the outlets, even though surrounding pavements are constructed flat
- The grates provide the highest wet pendulum slip resistance rating of P5 (AS 4586)
- With a 6mm slot opening, the grates resist heel penetration and are bicycle, wheelchair and walking cane compliant to AS 3996 and AS 1428
- The grates unique wedgewire profile met the designers aesthetic requirements